Is, without a doubt, one of the most significant brazilian artists throughout the last years. His art is to play drums and percussion. Born in Rio de Janeiro and self-taught, he discovered his potencial when still young and was influenced by the main Samba Bossa Nova drummers (Edson Machado, Milton Banana e Dom Um Romão) and the north american jazz drummers (Art Blakey, Philly Jo Jones, Elvin Jones, Tony Willians e Max Roach). His journey really began when he started to play with the group “Som Imaginario”, together with Wagner Tiso e Luiz Alves. And since the beginning, from the late 60`s, until today, he`s always been involved in recordings and concerts with the great names of the world music.
He played at many music festivals, such as New Port, Berlim, Free Jazz Festival, JVC New York, Montreaux and others.
His career involves, not only studio recordings, but performances with Milton Nascimento (with whom he worked for 26 years), João Donato, Tom Jobim, Wayne Shoter, Paul Horn, George Duke, Egberto Gismonti, Airto Moreira, Flora Purin, Raul de Souza, Dori Caymmi, Calt Tjader, Sarah Vaughn, Gilberto Gil, João Bosco, Toninho Horta, Gal Costa, Nana Caymmi e Chico Buarque, among others. He`s worked more recently with Lisa Ono, Guilherme Vergueiro, Wanda Sá, Mônica Salmaso, Emílio Santiago and the saxofonist Bud Shank and George Benson.
• 1981 – “Música Popular Brasileira Contemporânea”, by Philips;
• 1984 – “Bateria”, by Carmo label;
• 1991 – “Bodas de Prata”, by Sony Music (relaunched in Japan in 1991 and in 1995 in USA with the title “Speak no Evil”, dedicated to Wayne Shorter) ;
• 1995 – “Shot on goal” by Miles Stone label(Fantasy) ;
• 2000 – “Jaquedu” with Ney Conceição;
• 2002 – “Mixtura Brasileira” with Alexandre Birkett
• In 2005 will be launching two independent projects: “Batucajé”, with three more musicians and researchers of brazilian rhythms – Simone Soul, Alfredo Belo and Jadna Zimmermann, and “Laska Mão”, a percussive group of instrumental brazilian music.
Nowadays he dedicates himself to his solo career and folkloric rythms` research throughout Brazil. Performs, teaches classes, appears in seminars and workshops all over the world. He also works with his four sons – Ronaldo, Pablo, Vanderley and Thiago – at a project called “The Silva Family“.
Collaborates with drama and dance companies. Soon he`ll produce his book about brazilian rythms.
Some Classes and Workshops
• Workshop-Switzerland (2000): Montreux jazz festival
• Class-Denmark (2000): Copenhagen Music Conservatory
• Workshop-Oslo (Norway): World Percussion Festival
• Class- Ille de la Reunion (France) (2004)
• Class-Brasília (Brazil): Summer Festival on Music Scool of Brasília
• Class-Ouro Preto (Brazil) (1995): Winter Festival
• Class-Recife (Brazil) (1995): Drum Festival
• Class-Rio de Janeiro (1999/2000): UERJ “ State University of Rio de Janeiro”
• Class-Curitiba (Brazil) (2002/2004): Music Festival
• Class-Vitória (Brazil) (2002) : Domingues Martins Festival
• Class-Rio de Janeiro (2003): winter festival
• Workshop-Rio de Janeiro(2003): Sesc Nogueira-RJ
• Class-Itajaí (Brazil) (2003): Music Festival
• Workshop-São Paulo(2003): Souza Lima School of Drum
• Workshop-Santos (Brazil): Arts and Sounds Scool
• Class-Goiás (Brazil) (2004): Pirinopolis` Spring singing Festival
• Class-Niterói(Brazil) (2004): Musifest Festival
• Class-Rio de Janeiro(2003/2005): Maracatu Brasil Scool
• Workshop-Tatuí(Brazil) (2004): 4º Brazil Instrumental Festival
• Class-São Paulo(2005): Morumbi Boys Project “Meninos do Morumbi”